The Bandra-Worli Sea Link (officially known as the ‘Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link‘ – named after India’s late PM) is the 1st 8-lane twin carriageway cable-stayed bridge of India.
People might wander about the significance of this bridge. Why isnt it just another bridge? Well for Indians, Its definitely a milestone.
Why ? Just answer the following questions :
Q : How many famous structures of India can 1 recall?
Ans : ‘The Golden Temple’,’Taj Mahal’, ‘Qutub Minar’ etc.
Q : Whats common about them ?
Ans : They were all built ages ago!!!
I cannot recall any significant structure to have been built in India post Independence ! None…Zilch….Nothing whatsoever comes to mind !
Its surprising that a country like India which is on the verge of being a global power, has relatively few achievements to its credit as far as infrastructure is concerned. The least one should expect is well connected roads…but sadly thats still far from reality. Lots of delays, bureaucratic hurdles, vested interests have considerably delayed the development of India.
In such circumstances, the creation of a marvel like the Bandra Worli Sea Link has to be applauded.
Some facts :
- It links Bandra and the western suburbs of Mumbai with Worli and central Mumbai.
- Its the first phase of the proposed West Island Freeway system which envisions the setting up of multiple flyovers over the Arabian Sea.
- The bridge was dedicated to the public on 30 June 2009 by Congress President and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
- The Sea Link is likely to reduce travel time between Bandra and Worli from 45–60 minutes to 7 minutes.
- The project was initiated more than 10 years ago in 1999 and was supposed to be completed within 5 years but it was delayed due to public interest litigations.
- Current Toll Rates Rs.50(one way),Rs.75(two way) for cars and Rs.100 for heavy vehicles. 2 wheelers are currently not allowed.
- The Rs. 1600 crore ($ 400 Million approx.) project of Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) is being executed by Hindustan Construction Company. Designs and Project management is by M/s DAR Consultants.